Moyer lasted 7 innings while holding the Friars to 2 runs on 6 hits. It was career win #268 tying him with Jim Palmer for 34th on the all-time MLB wins list.
On the other side of the coin, with the loss the Padres dropped to 3-9 on the season, and need to win tomorrow to take their first series of the season.
- The Pads collecting 9 hits including a Nick Hundley HR, and a four-for-four night for Chris Denorfia.
- Anthony Bass throwing well, other than a missed location in the 3rd to Dexter Fowler that cost a 2-run HR, and another to Wilin Rosario in the 4th for an RBI double.
- Nice comeback effort by the Pads to bring the go ahead run to the plate in 9th. The comeback bid fell short, but these Pads do not give up.
- Watching the friendly competition between Mark Kotsay and Jamie Moyer. Kotsay entered the game with a lifetime .576 avg. (19-for-33), and added two more hits to his collection to raise that average to .580. After each at bat the two exchanged good natured ribbing regardless of the outcome. I few fun moments in the midst of an otherwise serious contest.
- 2 out runs. 3 crossed the plate tonight against the Pads. Those always hurt, and more often than not prove to be the difference in the game, and tonight was no exception.
- Two misplays in the field, one costing a run in the 8th.
- Jamie Moyer working his soft tossing magic while inducing 3 double plays, pitching over 2 Troy Tulowitzki errors, and preventing the Pads from getting a runner into scoring position until the 7th inning.
- 2-strike mistakes to Marco Scutaro and Fowler with two out in the 3rd to give the Rocks a 2-0 lead that they would not relinquish.